Tuesday 22 October 2013

#really?

If you know me personally (which, I'm sure most of you do), then you would understand my really weird detachment to modern technology and music. For some strange reason I am so behind on everything. Example: I just started a blog. Very recently. Yeah, exactly. Welcome to 2013, lydia.

Anyway, although I am not really completely out of the loop, there are a lot of trending (oooh, I used an internet word!) things that I just don't agree with. Today's "internet wtf of the 21st century" are hashtags.

Its not like I'm so MIA from the world that I don't understand their intentions and usefulness, but have you looked at the way people type shit out with hashtags?

In the photo that you hashtagged 1000 times, you could have written a small paragraph describing your photo. And #it #could've #been #way #less #annoying #to #read.

Or how about twitter-style hashtagging, where people write full sentences after their hashtags? #icantfuckingreadanythingwithoutspaces. And really, are people ACTUALLY running hashtag searches that long and specific? It all seems so ridiculous to me.

Modern technology has become so easy and so convenient that I think we've really just become lazy. When you are actually verbalizing "brb" at work to tell your coworkers that you'll be right back, that's the internet #winning in your life.

Hashtags seem like the ironic moustache craze of hipsterism, circa 2007. Everyone feels the need to use one, but its really all so unnecessary.

#thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment